Thursday, March 18, 2010

E39 M5 Review


Autotrend May 2002

As an auto test driver and reviewer, I get to drive the nicest, priciest and fastet vehicles ever produced. I'll start my review by saying that nothing at any price is more pleasing to drive than the BMW M5. This truly is the Ultimate Driving Machine. The power for this M5 comes from a 4.9 liter engine that is the closest thing we've ever driven to a Formula One engine that is practical and durable in every day driving with a wide power band.
If you like the power of this automobile, you will love its handling, because the handling is as good as the acceleration. From 115 km/h (70 mph), we stopped in a distance of 136 feet, beating the previous best stopping distance of our big brake 2000 Corvette of 144 ft. Consider the M5 as a luxury saloon car with the performance of a Ferrari. The cockpit of the Bimmer is comfortable and functional with tasteful touches of wood trim. The engine is so powerful over a wide powerband and the close ratio 6 speed gertag performs so well, that you can select almost any gear in any situation.
I flew over to Germany, just so I could drive this high performance saloon on the autobahn. My first impression was that at 240 km/h (150mph) this car was so rock solid it felt like 145 km/h (90 mph) in a Jaguar, Corvette or even daresay I, a Mercedes AMG. The M5 is an engineering marvel that needs to be driven to be appreciated. I've run out of superlatives in describing this car. If there's any flaw, it would be the sound system, which at times had a tinny sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment