Tuesday, March 29, 2011

M5itis


My E39 M5 was in the shop again for some work on the water pump and timing chain tensioner. A good friend of mine reminded me that for what I've spent in maintenance and repairs on my M5 I could have been leasing a new BMW 335i for the last three years.

He just doesn't get it! I don't want a 335i or a Porsche 911, and nothing compares to the way I feel about my M5 and its comfort and performance. The 335 doesn't have the low end torque of the M5 and you can't haul around the family on vacation in 911. You become attached to these cars like a member of the family and nothing I've driven since I bought my M5 makes me want to change.


My wife and little girl say they may bury me in this car and that would be just fine with me. Driving and maintaining my E39 M5 is an addiction that my wife has termed M5itis. I plan on getting a minimum of 250,000 miles out of this car, even if I have to rebuild the engine and replace the rod bearings eventually.

In all the years of ownership it's only let me down twice. Once with a flat tire that was not the car's fault, and the other time was a FSU failure on a sweltering 91F day in southern Georgia. Besides for that it's been very reliable. I've had a two SES lights over the years, but all minor such as the pre cat O2 sensor, thermostat, water pump, and a Vanos CPO and the car was still very driveable in every case. The M5 brings a smile to my lips every time I drive it, even after all these years and all those dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment