Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The new 2011 535i

I've had the pleasure of driving a brand new 535i loaner while my M5 is at the dealer getting the air conditioning fixed and tracking down an electrical gremlin under the dash. As for the 535i, this is one new car BMW got right.  The fit and finish on the beautiful space gray metallic 535i is excellent.   Improved quality control at BMW is paying off!
I like the larger kidney grilles and although bigger than the old 5 series, it doesn't seem that way when you are driving it. I think this is the best exterior styling on any BMW, although I am still very partial to the old 840.  Everyone that talked to me about it liked the styling.  The only mixed opinions were on the sahrk fin antenna on the roof, which I happen to like as a styling statement.  I've also read where it adds stability to the car over 110 mph.
   The interior is a work of art that feels like being wrapped in a luxurious cocoon with everything at your fingertips. At night, the red lighting on the instrument cluster and door panels produces a soothing affect.
I thought the seat heaters were great on the M5 but on the new 535i they are instaneous. If you have any familiarity with BMW iDrive you will find the one on the new 535i much easier to use than the old one and similar to the 7 series.  I've become hooked on the Nav system with traffic alerts.  It's easy to use and saved me time bypassing an accident and traffic tie up the Nav system alerted me about.
As for power, the new single turbo 6 cylinder is silky smooth and I did a few 0 to 60 runs in 5.1 and 5.2 seconds - not bad at all for this sedan autobahn cruiser and much better than BMWs figures of 6.0. I think BMW lowers the actual horsepower ratings of their engines and they are very conservative on their 0 to 60 times. This is a car that you could cruise 150 mph on the autobahn all day in. As for the traditional BMW handling, thew engineers got it right with this car. I found the steering precise and the cornering abilities very good.  I've been averaging a very respectable 19.9 mpg around town in spirited driving and saw 29.3 mpg on the car computer on a long highway drive at 65 mph.
 I'm still getting used to the electronic gearshift and electronic parking brake, and wonder what the Msport package would do this wonderful to drive 535i. Once again the 5 series is the ultimate driving machine!  I miss my //M5, but it's going to be hard giving this 535 back.

No comments:

Post a Comment