Sunday, April 25, 2010

What is it about the E39 M5?





From a blog reader in New York:
"I don't know what it is about my 2002 M5, but it is the first car I have ever owned that I never get tired of driving.  I've owned eleven BMWs and this is the first pre-owned one I ever bought.  It had 6,100 miles on it when I took possession in June of 2003, the day it was traded in on a 7 series, and now it has 88,000 miles on it.   The E39 does everything exceptionally well.  It gets good gas mileage, is comfortable as an everyday car, has gobs of power and mine has been relatively trouble free.  The only major expenses so far have been for a new clutch at 71,000 miles, three sets of tires, one set of new brakes, a new guibo, and new MAFs.   Except for in the snow, I drive it all the time and can't imagine any car I would rather drive.  Maybe I'm spoiled because I've driven just about every BMW ever made in the last thirty years; I used to sell them!  Don't get me wrong, the new M3 is a great car to drive but totally different in character to the E39.  I had the rare pleasure of owning an M1 in 1980.  That was my other love, but nowhere as comfortable, as fast, or as reliable as the M5.  The new M5 is a fantastic automobile, but vastly different in character to the good old E39."

I'm looking forward to talking with E39 M5 owners at this year's bimmerfest and getting their stories too!

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree. I have owned several BMWs too and my 2001 M5 is by far my favorite!

    ReplyDelete