Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My M5


The longer I own my M5, the more I love it. It's a car you never get tired of driving and love the feel of that acceleration and handling on tight corners. The seats are incredibly comfortable and the interior has plenty of room for my 6 ft 5 203 pound frame. The air conditioner keeps the interior "ice box" cold in 100 degree F temperatures and the seat heaters are wonderful in the cold. BMWs, especially the M5 have to be driven to be appreciated. The cavernous trunk was perfect on our mini vacation out West and my wife even had room for those large souvenirs she picked up.
The driving experience is one savored every day by E39 M5 pilots, but the sound of that S62 engine and feel on the road never gets old. It's not a marketing ploy, these are the Ultimate Driving Machines. At speed on a twisting road, it's like being in a train on rails - the M5 feels that rock solid. The brakes are INCREDIBLE. Most drivers will never need their full abilities, but when a deer ran in front of us on I70 at 75 mph, they pulled our 4000 pound M5 down in an incredibly short distance, probably only experienced by drivers in race cars - the brakes are that good!
Had I owned one of these cars earlier in life, I would have never had anything but BMWs, but better late than never. Is there a downside to the M5? They are expensive to maintain if you can't do much mechanically yourself, but in my opinion worth every dollar spent. The E39 M5 ads so much pleasure to my life it's almost like an elixir. I don't even notice my arthritis when I drive my M5. The only other downside would be the fact the Michelin PS2s are wearing a little faster than I thought they would, but that is because of my driving style and the hilly twisting roads around here. The Michelin tires are far superior in every respect to the ones that came with my Beast.
These cars are built for speed and on a long stretch of I70 in Kansas I found myself doing 96 mph and my wife wouldn't believe I was going that fast until she looked at the speedometer, because the ride is that good at speed and the interior is very quiet, even approaching 100 mph. The ride is dificult to describle because it's firm, but not hard or choppy like a Corvette or Lotus. The M engineers at BMW got it just right on the E39 M5! Time to go out for my early morning drive and watch the sun come up in my M5!

No comments:

Post a Comment